From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: virtual/emacs-24
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 23:54:02
1 Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On 12/18/2014 07:06 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> After reading a few google hits of gentoo documetation about virtual
5 >> pkgs. I still didn't get it.
6 >>
7 >> In my case I'm trying to avoid problems with a self built emacs (25)
8 >> not done thru portage.
11 > What are you trying to do, just get emacs-25 installed somehow? If
12 > that's your goal, we have an ebuild in the emacs overlay already:
13
14 No, I alread have emacs-25 installed from bzr sources using
15 traditional ./configure, make, make install.
16
17 > $ git clone git://git.overlays.gentoo.org/proj/emacs.git
18 > $ PORTDIR_OVERLAY=$(pwd)/emacs ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="**" \
19 > emerge -pv1 emacs-vcs
20
21 Yes, I know about this but I seem to recall it being more trouble
22 using the emerge process to track developement on emacs which is
23 moving in almost hourly jumps.
24
25 Using the traditional way requires:
26
27 cd bzr branch
28 bzr pull
29 ./configure $FLAGS
30 make
31 make install
32
33 And the binary is now up to date with development
34
35 What does it require if done thru emerge frequently?
36
37 I am seriously considering scrapping my bzr approach in favor of
38 emerge since it appears to have somewhat far reaching effects when
39 compiling your own tools.