From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No auto-add to programs list in GNOME after emerges
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:51:19
1 Greg Shikhman schreef:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > After installing gentoo and gnome on my current system, I don't get
5 > programs added to my program files after emerging them (ex:
6 > firefox-bin does not enter the menu after emerging it, I have to do
7 > it manually). Could anyone list any reasons why this could happen?
8
9 Does the item still not appear after you have in one way or another
10 restarted the gnome-panel (thereby re-reading the menu)?
11
12 I.e. , 1) killing gnome-panel and letting it restart; 2) logging out and
13 back in; 3) rebooting.
14
15 It fairly often happens that one expects the program to automatically
16 appear immediately after install (and much of the time it does), but it
17 does not appear to occur, because of the way the program is added to the
18 menu (or something), and so the item is there, but the menu is not
19 updated 'on-the-fly' to actually show it (until the menu in memory is
20 re-read due to a restart of the panel).
21
22 I see this a lot with -bin programs, for some reason (Loki stuff, OO.o,
23 doom3 and the like), they just don't show up till I log off and on
24 again-- but since I usually don't log off and on again, or reboot for
25 that matter, I think that there's something wrong.
26
27 Second possibility is that the programs you're installing are KDE or
28 other WM programs that are not interoperable with the GNOME menu. This
29 is obviously not the case for something like Firefox, but you could
30 install.... oh, KPat, 750 times and it's never going to appear in the
31 GNOME menu (though K3b will).
32
33 Third possibility is that you're using an older version of GNOME with
34 "even more broken menu functionality" than the current version (2.10.x)
35 has? GNOME, like KDE is migrating to the freedesktop.org standard, but
36 until such migration is complete, we will still encounter bumps like
37 this. GNOME 2.10 is the first major effort to integrate these standards,
38 and it's not a completely smooth transition (especially since many
39 application install routines are not necessarily compiant with the
40 standard either, sometimes because the install routine was created
41 before there *was* a standard to comply with). That probably explains
42 why I see this most with -bin files.
43
44 Anyway, hope this helps... I think the problem may not be as great as it
45 appears, but please test and see.
46
47 Holly
48 --