From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Running out of space on /var partition
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 01:24:25
1 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Dale writes:
5 >> Alex Schuster wrote:
8 >>> I don't use tmpfs any more, as 8G of RAM is barely enough to run KDe
9 >>> here.
10 >>>
11 >> I run KDE here and it uses less than 1Gbs all the time. Most of the
12 >> time it hovers around 1Gb with a lot of junk open. If your used 8Gbs,
13 >> you got a lot running or something. o_O
14 >>
15 > I'm using 4.5G right now according to free -m (using the -/+ buffers/cache
16 > entry). 550M for a Windows VM, 355M for Kontact, 350M for my TV-Browser
17 > application, 200M for Firefox, incredible 165M for a Chromium instance, 155M
18 > plasma-desktop. Oh, there's an emerge -a command waiting for me to confirm
19 > it should run, 155M. virtuoso-t neds 150M, the same goes for Amarok, and
20 > kwin is at 140 now. The rest is mainly more Chromium and Konqueror
21 > processes, X, akonadi_nepomuk, apache2, kmymoney, the rest is less then 65M
22 > each.
23 >
24 > The system even starts swapping from time to time. 6G was not enough, things
25 > are much better now that I have 8G. With 4, it became unusable after 1-2
26 > days of being logged into KDE.
29 >>> Well, if you were using LVM, this would take less than a minute:
30 >>>
31 >>> lvresize -L +2G /dev/myVolumeGroup/myVarVolume
32 >>> resize2fs /dev/myVolumeGroup/myVarVolume
33 >>>
34 >> Yea but I don't use LVM.
35 >>
36 > I know :)
37 >
38 > Wonko
43 Jeez, I thought I used the kitchen sink here at times. The better
44 question may be, what don't you have running? LOL
45
46 Dale
47