From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problems trying to maintain inn for my own use
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 13:41:06
1 On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 08:16:47 -0400,
2 Jack wrote:
3 >
4 > On 6/13/19 5:47 AM, John Covici wrote:
5 > > Hi. I use inn to fetch/post usenet news. I know its no longer in the
6 > > tree, but I would like to keep it going. The last version in the tree
7 > > 2.5.5-r1 no longer configures, so I wrote an ebuild similar to the
8 > > ones that used to be there which I copied to my local ebuilds for
9 > > 2.6.3. This configures and compiles fine, but gets linking errors
10 > > where it cannot find symbol HISTLOOKUP.
11 >
12 > You need to track down where HISTLOOKUP should be coming from,
13 > and then why in isn't finding it, but didn't miss it at
14 > configure/compile.  Do "ldd /path/to/inn" to see if there is a
15 > library it can't find.  If it finds everything, then perhaps it
16 > needs a newer version of whichever dependency includes (or is
17 > supposed to include) that symbol.
18 >
19 > You can also compare that ldd output to "ldd
20 > /path/to/inn/from/tarball".  If there is any difference, then
21 > perhaps your ebuild is missing something in the ./configure
22 > command.
23 >
24 > > Now what is strange is if I just get the tarball and configure with
25 > > the same parameters and compile out of tree, it works fine -- at least
26 > > up to the point of make install. I would like to do things in such a
27 > > way that portage knows its there in case there is a preserved lib or
28 > > something that I need to take care of. I could not figure what the
29 > > difference is as to why the ebuild does not work and my out of tree
30 > > compile works, so it looks like I have two choices:
31 > >
32 > > 1. unmerge and just maintain the out of tree build or
33 > > 2. Leave it there and just do a make update which copies the binaries
34 > > over the old ones. If I do number 2, it might be impossible to go to
35 > > the 17.1 profile, so I am of two minds about this.
36 > >
37 > > If anyone has any insight into this I would appreciate it very much.
38 > >
39 > > Thanks.
40
41 It looks like the symbol is in one of the libraries compiled with the
42 build, and this is what is so strange. I saw a post that talked about
43 the order of the libraries in the link command, but it looks the same
44 in ebuild and the tarball build. I configured the tarball using the
45 configure line in the log from the ebuild, so that should be the same.
49 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
50 How do
51 you spend it?
52
53 John Covici wb2una