From: Maarten <gentoo@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] kernel 2.6 upgrade howto
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:08:21
1 Hi list,
2
3 I'm new to the list (and gentoo) but not to linux.
4
5 I just started with gentoo, had to use the 2004.2 image since 2004.3 crashed
6 at installtime on my machine (thinkpad 600X)...
7 I used stage 2. Since then I succesfully installed a lot of apps like KDE and
8 such, but my kernel is still a selfmade 2.4 one. Now I need to get my
9 wireless cards working but I'd rather upgrade the kernel first for fear of
10 doing things twice (or wrong) due to the changed pcmcia drivers.
11
12 I think I correctly upgraded 2004.2 to 2004.3 but how do I check that to make
13 sure? The machine did not do anything spectacular when I made that change,
14 is that expected behaviour ? Now for the fullfillment of the transition to
15 2004.3 I need a kernel 2.6, right ? Can someone point me to the docs that
16 detail that step cause I could not find that very well.
17 Or do I just somehow get the sources and start compiling ?
18 How do I make sure I retain my current kernel as a second boot option if the
19 2.6 kernel will not boot ?
20
21 Thanks in advance,
22