From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB stick recognition problem
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 06:12:45
1 On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:11 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 02/02/2011 03:05 PM, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM, walt<w41ter@×××××.com>  wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> On 02/02/2011 07:48 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> I have a USB SD-card reader which cannot read the partition table when
9 >>>> first inserted into the PC.
10 >
11 >>> That sounds to me like a bug :)  do you see the same  on other computers?
12 >
13 >> Yes, every computer (for several kernel versions now)
14 >
15 > Well, if an older kernel uses the card reader normally and newer kernels
16 > don't, then I assume a kernel bug is responsible.
17 >
18 > What *I* would do is to use git-bisect in Linus's kernel git repository to
19 > isolate the "bad" commit and then report it to the person who submitted the
20 > original bad patch to Linus.
21 >
22 > If that idea sounds weird -- I plead nolo contendere.  Yet, it gets kernel
23 > bugs fixed.  (Very roughly paraphrasing Galileo ;)
24
25 I meant that I've tried it for a few kernel versions (it's not a new
26 card reader, it's a few years old). It has never worked properly in
27 Linux since I've owned it.