From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Recovering installed files after hard drive replacement (was LVM Recovery....)
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:50:29
1 Okay, so I got a new hard drive, and got my LVM back up using the 'partial' mode. I haven't lost anything I cared about.
2 Any further hard drive recovery will involve some kind of service and likely lost of $$ - if I cared that much.
3
4 Any how...I had /opt and /usr/local mapped to the VG - they were the only parts of the VG that were lost.
5 I know some stuff was installed to /opt at the very least (at least java, and netscape extensions).
6
7 So, are there any existing tools that will detect missing installed files and rebuild those specific builds?
8 Otherwise, I might try to write a script to do it, but I'd prefer something that already exists.
9
10 The system may be partially hosed until I can resolve this.
11
12 TIA,
13
14 Ben
18 ----- Original Message ----
19 From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
20 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
21 Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2008 5:31:01 PM
22 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM Recovery....
23
24 Well...I'm fairly certain that data recovery might not be very easy - or cheap for the matter.
25 The system gets stuck during POST while trying to detect the SATA drive.
26
27 Using "vgreduce --removemissing" will be okay - once I verify the current state of the VG.
28 Is there a way to do so _with_ it trying to detect the existence of the partitions or drives? i.e. skip an integrity check and just print out what it thinks the VG is comprised of - that's really what I want at the moment.
29
30 Ben
34 ----- Original Message ----
35 From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
36 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
37 Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2008 7:14:30 PM
38 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM Recovery....
39
40 vgreduce --removemissing
41
42 However there's no gaurantee you'll be able to recover your data (LVM is
43 not redundancy).
44
45 -a