From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: A confession
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:06:28
1 Martin S <shieldfire@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 [...]
4
5 I recently did something similar only never got past thining I might
6 do it.... I too had gotten my OS pretty unstable by not really
7 understanding how keywording etc worked. I still don't really fully
8 get it but I came back thinking I'd stay with stable.
9
10 > Back to Gentoo. And battling my own errors...
11 > I think I'll run the stable branch this time though.
12
13 What had happened to cause you to need to reinstall?
14
15 For me it was running:
16
17 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge -vuD world
18
19 Not realizing the repercussions, like that all dependancies would be
20 unmasked too.
21
22 That eventuall got me into a pretty big mess.
23
24 When I reinstalled gentoo my plan was to stay with stable like you.
25 However I soon scrapped that too. Kde is about to jump to kde-3.5
26 being stable I think and when I went to install kde it wanted to
27 install kde-3.4.3 meaning I'd soon be grinding through all of kde
28 again. Posters have argued that compiling kde is really so bad but I
29 still think its really a time waster.
30
31 Trying to unmask stuff soon turned into a pita although it can be
32 done.
33
34 I just started running with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" in /etc/make.conf
35 and decided to let the chips fall where they may. At least I don't
36 have to fiddle around with a mixture of stable and masked.
37 I doubt that above would be seen as very good plan by many though.
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list