From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] macbook pro boot from usb
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 22:35:12
1 On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Valmor de Almeida <val.gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I would like to experiment with Gentoo on a Mac but I don't seem to
5 > get past step 0, namely, booting from a gentoo usb stick
6 > (systemrescuecd). The Mac does not recognize the usb stick. I don't
7 > know much about Macs and searching the web has not been fruitful. In
8 > other computers without a Mac bios, it is a matter of changing the
9 > boot device order to the usb port. I don't know if such a thing exists
10 > in a Mac. If you have a gentoo mac I would appreciate inputs.
11
12 I have never used a MacBook, and haven't used any Mac since they had
13 black & white screens, but I believe the problem is that its firmware
14 uses EFI for booting, and not the usual BIOS/MBR boot like a normal PC
15 would use. and your system rescue CD probably doesn't have the
16 necessary files. If you google "macbook efi linux usb boot" or
17 something, maybe there will be more specific info about how to solve
18 it.
19
20 There are some tools that may help, for example take a look at:
21 http://refit.sourceforge.net/
22
23 I seem to recall reading that booting from USB flash drive/external
24 hdd is not normally supported on a Mac, but it may be possible to make
25 it work.
26
27 good luck :)