From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2008.0 Installation Question...
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:27:58
1 On Monday 29 September 2008 15:15:33 BRM wrote:
2 > I took the dive on my laptop this weekend and installed Gentoo 2008.0. I
3 > started Friday night and used the stage3 and latest-portage. The initial
4 > install when okay, until I started emerging applications - specifically X
5 > windows/KDE/etc; and that is the point I am still working on.
6 >
7 > The problem seems to be that emerge/portage is not detecting dependencies
8 > correctly, or rather - a dependency says it is installed but the ebuilds
9 > for other packages that depend on it do not find the files it supposedly
10 > installed. For example, I have had to manually emerge nearly all the X
11 > protocol (e.g. xproto, xkbproto, etc.) packages.
12 >
13 > I've installed several other gentoo systems, but not with 2008.0 directly
14 > like this - my last two were installed under 2007.0 and upgraded to 2008.0
15 > profiles. The only bug reports I come across seem to indicate broken
16 > e-builds, but that does seem to be the case as "emerge --search <program>"
17 > indicates it is installed when in fact it might not be which leads me to
18 > believe that the local portage database (?) is somehow broken or
19 > something...
20
21 No, the portage tree is just fine.
22
23 Sounds like you emerged xorg-server, which gives you the ... Xorg Server :-)
24
25 To get everything else, you should have installed the xorg-x11 package. It's
26 a -meta package whose sole purpose is to install a bunch of other packages.
27
28 To check if your portage tree is wonky, run emerge --sync
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com