From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about difference between emerge --update world and emerge vigra
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 06:24:11
1 On Thursday 25 September 2008 06:05:20 SOrCErEr wrote:
2 > As you can see, there is a package "vigra" with flag "U".
3 > As I know, U is need to update, and if I do emerge --update world, it will
4 > be update.
5 >
6 > But there is no "vigra" in result of "emerge -p --update world"(with --deep
7 > also).
8 > Of course, it still shows flag "U" if I do "emerge -p vigra"
9 >
10 > What is difference with emerge --update world and emerge vigra?
11 > And how can I update all new package without exceptions?
12
13 try using --with-bdeps=y
14
15 Ref: man emerge
16
17 The difference is that some dependant packages are only required to *build*
18 something else, not to *run* it. So, the dependant package is only remerged
19 when the package is depends on is itself rebuilt. --with-bdeps=y removes this
20 exception
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com