From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [WAY OT] GUI programming for Linux (and Windows possibly)
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:42:47
1 On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Arttu V.<arttuv69@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 6/28/09, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Actually I'm liking the suggest to try using R. I have already managed
4 >> to read my data files using the read.csv function. When I understand
5 >> headers and tables better I'll likely be able to make my plots from
6 >> that data pretty easily. It's cross platform so it solves that problem
7 >> and keeps me focused on where I might add value - evaluating the
8 >> market data - and not worrying about how to program in C or Python.
9 >>
10 >> Open to other ideas but this one is looking pretty good to me so far.
11 >
12 > If you have your data in a text-like, tabular format that R likes then
13 > you might also try feeding them into a data mining package like Weka.
14 > Depending on what kind of analysis you are looking for, it might be
15 > even better (and easier) than R -- or entirely unsuitable. :)
16 >
17 > --
18 > Arttu V.
19
20 Thanks Arttu. I've already 'data mined' by hand, found some stuff
21 that's working for me and need to track it using charts and tables in
22 an easy manner. If I can handle the R programming for doing this then
23 this will work fine.
24
25 That said it was a lot of work to data mine by hand so down the road
26 when it's time to do more then I'll likely want to look at something
27 like Weka.
28
29 Cheers,
30 Mark