From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Masking for Educational Purposes only ?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:41:04
1 2008/11/24 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > portage-2.2.. has been masked.
5 > /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask tells me why
6 >
7 > "In order to ensure that portage-2.1.6 gets sufficient testing,
8 > portage-2.2 will be masked in package.mask until portage-2.1.6 has
9 > been marked stable."
10 >
11 > I feel like someone will try to educate me.
12 > Yes, I can and will unmask it again, but why
13 > am I forced to?
14 >
15 > I'd prefer if package.mask is used for buggy or dangerous
16 > packages only.
17
18 I will try to explain this a bit from what I know from mailing-lists and IRC.
19
20 First there are no problems with portage-2.2. It has been masked
21 because some features are not ready and thus are blocking
22 stabilisation. As a conclusion portage-2.1.6 has been branched out
23 without this features to get a stable version into the tree which has
24 support for eapi 2 and all other features that are ready.
25
26 To get more testing to 2.1.6 version it has been decided to mask 2.2
27 with the hope more people are using 2.1.6 to get remaining bugs fixed
28 and to get it stable quickly. Of course some users which are for
29 instance using kde-4 or other stuff which will need features that are
30 only in 2.2 will have to unmask portage 2.2 to get the system running.
31
32 This is one thing that annoys me a bit of gentoo. There is way to much
33 information that is not passed to the users, a short announcement
34 which explains the situation on the homepage, forum or even the
35 gentoo-user mailing list and everything would be fine. Some things
36 important for users are often discussed only on IRC or the gentoo-dev
37 mailing list so they do not reach most of the users. Examples are this
38 portage masking and the perl package moves to name a few things that
39 happened recently.
42 Regards,
43 Daniel