From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fstab mount /home by default
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 08:35:04
1 On 1/17/21 1:22 AM, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > On one of my system I have in fstab:
3 > /dev/sda4 /home ext4 noatime 0 1
4 > and /home is mounted by default
5 >
6 > On my new installation, I have in my fstab:
7 > /dev/sda5 /home ext4 noatime 0 1
8 >
9 > but on new installation /home doesn't mount by default, why?
10 >
11 > On new installation, I created a user without "-m"
12 > useradd -G users,wheel,audio -s /bin/bash thelma
13 >
14 > added to fstab:
15 > /dev/sda5 /home ext4 noatime 0 1
16 >
17 > but it doesn't mount by default.
18 > xfce4 created new entry in /home /thelma
19 > so I deleted the entry /thelma but manual mounting: mount /dev/sda5 /home
20 > does not create directory /thelma manually under /home
21 >
22 > When I mount manually /dev/sda5 /home all data is there but but trying login as user "X" gets a black screen now.
23 > How to get back "X"
24 >
25 > When I ssh and try to start it manually I get:
26 > Fatal server error:
27 > (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 8 (Permission denied)
28
29 Spelling :-/
30 It should be:
31 dev/sda5 /home ext4 defaults 0 1