From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Pinging two devices on the same IP address
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 21:32:59
1 On 10/23/07, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I am trying to troubleshoot two devices both behind the same IP address:
5 >
6 > Device A: a router
7 > Device B: a wireless access point
8 >
9 > The network looks like this:
10 >
11 > Internet >> modem >> router >> AP
12 >
13 > Currently I have set up a firewall rule in the router to forward all pings to
14 > the AP. The logic is that if the ping returns then both router and AP are
15 > up.
16 >
17 > That's alright when both devices are working. However, if I am interested to
18 > know which one of the two has failed, a different system is needed. Any idea
19 > how I could ping them both separately? Is there a clever firewall rule I
20 > could concoct?
21
22 I really don't get how you forward something to an Access Point, isn't
23 this device like a "dumb hub" on your wireless network? Mine doesn't
24 have an IP, nor MAC or anything that could identify it on the network.
25
26 I would also be interested if something like that is possible...
29 Daniel da Veiga
30
31 Filosofia de TI: Programadores de verdade consideram o conceito "o que
32 você vê é o que você tem" tão ruim em editores de texto quanto em
33 mulheres. Não, o programador de verdade quer um editor de texto do
34 estilo "você pediu, você levou" - complicado, indecifrável, poderoso,
35 impiedoso, perigoso.
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list