From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SMTP Relay
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2016 21:35:39
1 On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Auto Protection Info
2 <papezulma@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi everyone, this is my first time posting for help, hope someone will get
4 > it.
5 > I want to use an SMTP Relay, like the one for Microsoft Exchange. I'm
6 > looking for some Free SMTP Relay, Now I'm trying to get it done with
7 > postmarkapp.com, but I'm a little bit confused...
8 >
9 > I Already have my own server and I'm using Port25 MTA to monitor my emails.
10 > So how can I configure my MTA with the SMTP relay please?
11 > Correct me if I'm wrong somewhere, I'm not really sure of what I just said
12 > either, it's just what I undesrtood
13
14 Do you want to relay stuff through your host, or have your outbound
15 mail from that MTA be relayed through some other host? By "Free SMTP
16 Relay" do you mean free software (like Postfix), or do you mean free
17 service?
18
19 If you want a free SMTP relay service, well, good luck with that, at
20 least if you want anybody to actually receive your mail. Spam has
21 basically ensured that any such relays get blocked eveywhere.
22
23 Now, you can certainly find cheap SMTP relays, just not free ones.
24 I'm using Amazon SES for my outbound Postfix mail. There are a ton of
25 services out there and the most economical option probably depends on
26 your volume, and also what you're doing. Amazon isn't really
27 list-friendly as they require the From to be something you own (so no
28 bouncing).
29
30 If you're trying to run a relay that's pretty straightforward, but you
31 need to run it on an IP that has a good reputation or nobody will
32 actually get your email. You're going to end up paying for that IP
33 one way or another.
36 Rich