From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it that hard to add a package, or am I doing wrong?
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 02:42:40
1 On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 9:24 PM YUE Daian <sheepduke@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Recently I posted a bug report to Gentoo Bugzilla and submitted a
4 > request to add package Roswell into the package tree.
5 >
6 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/638446
7 >
8 > But...in fact it was not "recent" at all! I submitted the bug one year
9 > ago and there is literally no news after some point.
10 >
11 > Is there anything I can do more?
12
13 You can always host it in an overlay, or try submitting it to
14 proxy-maintainers. Volunteering to proxy-maintain the package would
15 probably also help - that basically involves committing to keep it up
16 to date and deal with bugs/etc.
17
18 The obvious QA issue I could think of with putting this in the main
19 repo is where it sticks its files and how well-behaved it is. When it
20 installs lisp packages does it keep them in some kind of tidy area
21 that isn't going to step on the rest of the filesystem?
22 Language-specific package managers can sometimes be messy in that way.
23
24 My guess though is that this reflects a lack of interest in lisp more
25 than any specific criticism. If somebody had a criticism they'd have
26 pointed it out.
27
28 I didn't look at your package too closely but one little tweak you
29 should make is something like:
30
31 SRC_URI="https://github.com/roswell/roswell/archive/v${PV}.zip -> ${P}.zip"
32
33 That makes it easier to maintain by renaming the package version
34 number, and it also cleans up the filename in the distfiles cache (and
35 on the mirrors).
38 Rich