From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Some possibly useful info on HAL
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 03:05:04
1 walt wrote:
2 > I've copy/pasted below a new post to the devicekit-devel mail list. I
3 > can't
4 > vouch for the accuracy of any of it, but it did catch my attention:
5 >
6 > =======================================================================
9 > There seems to be a lack of information in a central place about what to
10 > use in place of HAL.
11 >
12 > Obviously UPower, udisks and udev are part of this, but they only cover
13 > part of the functionality of HAL, which provided other information and
14 > services in a consistent way.
15 >
16 > I've been improving the pages on the FDO wiki to correct this situation,
17 > and I've commandeered
18 > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/DeviceKit to
19 > bring together information on how to do various things that used to be
20 > done
21 > with HAL.
22 >
23 > I've done what I can, so this is a plea for those in the know to check
24 > what
25 > I've written and add anything I've missed.
26 >
27 > Thanks
28 >
29 > Alex
34 Has anyone replaced hal completely on a KDE system? Any luck? Issues?
35 Downright deal breakers?
36
37 May as well include policykit or whatever it is called too?
38
39 Just looking ahead a bit here.
40
41 Dale