From: Regis Decamps <decamps@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: evms
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:05:44
1 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > On Monday 17 April 2006 09:14, John Jolet <john@×××××.net> wrote
3 > about '[gentoo-user] evms':
4 >
5 >>Trying to set up a new server using evms, but the howto on the gentoo
6 >>site seems very old and incomplete.
7 >>basically, i've got 3 hot-swappable scsi drives, but no raid
8 >>controller.. I want to end up with lvm logical volumes on top of a
9 >>software raid-5. but getting there with evms is presenting me some
10 >>issues.
11 >
12 > In your situation, I'd get rid of evms, it's not needed. Use mdadm to
13 > create a raid5 volume from your 3 drives, then use the command-line lvm
14 > tools to create a pv, vg, and all the lvs you want.
15
16 I agree. I tried to use evms and I was not very lucky. I am happily
17 running lvm on top of raid with mdadm lvm2.
20 Régis
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list