From: Robert David <robert.david.public@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: pandu@××××××.info, emailgrant@×××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Safe way to test a new kernel?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 20:45:30
1 V Sun, 26 Feb 2012 02:50:46 +0700
2 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> napsáno:
3
4 > On Feb 26, 2012 2:05 AM, "Robert David"
5 > <robert.david.public@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >
7 > > V Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:32:20 -0800
8 > > Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> napsáno:
9 > >
10 > > > >> >> I need to test a kernel config change on a remote system.
11 > > > >> >> Is there a safe way to do this? The fallback thing in grub
12 > > > >> >> has never worked for me. When does that ever work?
13 > > > >> >
14 > > > >> >
15 > > > >> > You can press ESC in the Grub screen and it will take you to
16 > > > >> > text-only mode. There, you select an entry, press "e" and
17 > > > >> > edit it. Press ENTER when you're finished, and then press
18 > > > >> > "b" to boot your modified entry.
19 > > > >> >
20 > > > >> > That way, you can boot whatever kernel you want if the
21 > > > >> > current one doesn't work.
22 > > > >>
23 > > > >> I can't do that remotely though. I'm probably asking for
24 > > > >> something that doesn't exist.
25 > > > >>
26 > > > >> - Grant
27 > > > >>
28 > > > >
29 > > > > Don't do that if you don't have some tool like KVM, or other
30 > > > > remote management of the server. Or if it is available in the
31 > > > > data center, just call them and order this service for the time
32 > > > > you need to do updates.
33 > > > >
34 > > > > This is why I don't use gentoo on servers any more, just because
35 > > > > I rather stay safe than sorry.
36 > > >
37 > > > How is another distro different in this situation?
38 > > >
39 > > > - Grant
40 > >
41 > > Just because when using distros like Centos/RHEL or Debian stable,
42 > > you have very little chance that the kernel released will fail. Due
43 > > to extensive testing, user base and update policy. And major kernel
44 > > update you done only once in few years and the transition is tested
45 > > before release done (though you are supposed to test yourself to be
46 > > safe).
47 > >
48 > > This is not saying that gentoo is bad, I'm very big fan of gentoo.
49 > > But you have to concern where it use and where not.
50 > >
51 > > Robert.
54 > Anecdotal, but...
55 >
56 > I once had an Ubuntu VM that can't shutdown after a kernel update.
57 > First boot after update went well, but when I rebooted it again, it
58 > pegged its vCPUs at 100% before I ordered the Xen hypervisor to put
59 > it out of its misery.
60
61 I don't want to start flame, but ubuntu was never a system for server
62 for me. It may be good for desktop, but not server. For me ubuntu is
63 too up-to-date to be a good server distro, even the LTS is not
64 something well done, maybe in version x.x.3-4 of LTS it s reasonable to
65 put on server, but it will soon end with support. So nothing for me.
68 > The bug was apparently in the portion of the kernel running in the
69 > primary CPU that's responsible for shutting down the other CPUs
70 > before cutting the power. And IIRC, this bug affects all
71 > multi-processor configuration.
72 >
73 > So, as you can see, binary distros can still fuck up royal time. Not
74 > to mention that if you have an exotic configuration, support for your
75 > configuration might not be built into the kernel by the distro.
78 This is true, but you cannot compare countless options that gentoo can
79 be configured with few options that binary distro is capable and thus
80 more probably tested before.
81
82 > Somehow I believe people deploying Gentoo servers will be much more
83 > careful...
84
85 Agree. But real word is not so ideal. I got situations where I need
86 upgrade basic gentoo server to more special virtualized environment.
87 Just a customer wanted that. This consist about changing net to bridge,
88 add/update kernel modules, etc. I ended with bricked server after a
89 long checks etc, so I have to check the server physicaly. I did
90 another thing in debian remotely within a half hour.
91
92 This also implies that I'm not so good admin, but things happen not
93 so good as you expect every time.
94
95 I still use gentoo on my notebook and work computer, or specialized
96 project where it benefits. But all the servers are migrated to debian
97 or centos. I just don't have so much time to play.
98
99 Robert.
102 > Rgds,