From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] DVD gives error but works fine
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 23:21:47
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi Dale, We're operating in parallel today but using different tools.
3 > OK, based on Stroller's responses to my DVD Movie backup thread (or
4 > whatever it was called) I'm trying out dvdbackup + mkisofs +
5 > growisofs. So far the best (as measured by my ease of getting through
6 > it) web site I found was an Arch Wiki page:
7 > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dvdbackup From this I got 4 basic
8 > commands to try out: 1) Grab the data off the disc backing up
9 > everything dvdbackup -i /dev/dvd -o . -M 2) Create an iso image:
10 > mkisofs -dvd-video -udf -o ./dvd.iso ./MOVIE_NAME 3) Test that the iso
11 > works: mplayer dvd:// -dvd-device ./dvd.iso 4) Write the iso to a DVD
12 > disc: growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=dvd.iso So far I've had very mixed
13 > results, but it's early days: 1) The first movie I tried produced a
14 > black screen in mplayer with no audio and a number of messages telling
15 > me to file a bug report. 2) The second movie produced good results in
16 > mplayer but the iso file itself is bigger than 6GB implying to me that
17 > maybe it's dual layer or something else I haven't figured out yet.
18 > Anyway, maybe we can keep each other updated (on list of off, either
19 > is fine with me) about our progress. - Mark
20
21 Well on mine, the only problem is that it gives a error after doing the
22 preformat part. Other than that, everything works fine. It gives the
23 error but it appears there is no error. I just let it continue and it
24 burns fine, plays fine on both my computer and a home DVD player. I
25 just don't understand why I get a error.
26
27 I also forgot to mention, it does this on any burn where I put in a new
28 DVD. It doesn't have to be a movie, it can be plain data such as a
29 backup or pictures etc. I just don't know why it is complaining when
30 really nothing is wrong. I don't know if it is k3b or if it is
31 something under the hood but I figure our guru would know. I can use
32 that tkdvd program burner to test this if needed. I think it is still
33 installed on here.
34
35 Dale
36
38
39 P.S. I been using DeVeDe to burn mine. Nothing fancy yet but I had to
40 go unstable on EVERYTHING related to get it to work. By everything, I
41 mean DeVeDe, ffmpeg and a couple other packages I don't recall the name
42 of at the moment. The stable packages just would not work.
45 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
46
47 Miss the compile output? Hint:
48 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"