From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] unclear (to me) errors from portage
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 13:12:06
1 On Fri, Aug 08 2014, wraeth@×××××××××.au wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 2014-08-08 at 08:23 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >> I notice a few perl blockers.
5 >> You could try the following:
6 >>
7 >> # emerge -vuD1 $(qlist -IC 'virtual/perl-*')
8 >> # perl-cleaner --all -v -- -v
9 >>
10 >> And then retry to update world.
11 >> I've been encountering some perl blockages myself, and this cleared it up for
12 >> me.
13 >
14 > I also notice a conflict between
15 >
16 > media-video/ffmpeg-1.2.6-r1::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge
17 >
18 > media-video/libav-9.14::gentoo, installed
19 >
20 > You may want to include which one you prefer (ffmpeg or libav) in your
21 > call to emerge, and possibly include "--with-bdeps=y":
22 >
23 > `emerge -1uDNav --with-bdeps=y @world media-video/<selection>`
24 >
25 > Note the addition of the '-1' or "--oneshot" option - you should always
26 > use this when specifying libraries to emerge.
27
28 (Yes about --oneshot)
29
30 The choice of ffmpeg vs libav seems non-deterministic ??
31
32 I have a shell open directly on the machine e6510 and am ssh'ed
33 into e6510 from another machine
34
35 On the direct shell two successive runs of
36
37 e6510 ~ # emerge --update --changed-use --deep @world
38 (I have EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ask --deep --tree --verbose --jobs
39 --load-average=5")
40
41 gave different results. The first one gave the error msg about libav
42 and ffmpeg conflicting; the second gave no error and is ready to go. I
43 looked at the tree output and see that the successful one has an
44 uninstall of libav right before the install line for ffmpeg. The
45 unsuccessful one does not have that line.
46
47 On the ssh shell, the first few tries gave the conflict error msg; but
48 then one succeeded (again proposing to uninstall libav).
49
50 Perhaps the dependency search uses multiple threads??
51
52 Since I must choose between libav and ffmpeg, I will use the choice that
53 portage (sometimes) makes and run the successful emerge command,
54 i.e. say yes to the question from --ask.
55
56 Is this nondeterminism documented or have I done something wrong.
57
58 Thanks for your help.
59 allan