From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Old IDE drives and the "newer" PATA kernel drivers
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 19:05:13
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > It would be nice if something like *fdisk could edit the labels tho.
4 > It would be so much easier. I didn't see anything in the man pages
5 > tho.
6
7 I'd like this, too. cfdisk displays them, but is not abel to edit.
8
9 > I looked into LVM a good while ago. It's just to much for me to keep
10 > up with since I just have a desktop system here. It has its good
11 > points but just way overkill for what I have here.
12
13 It's not that complicated. In a nutshell:
14
15 Choose the partitions you want to use for LVM, and prepare them to be
16 physical volumes:
17 pvcreate /dev/sda[678]
18
19 Create a volume group out of these partitions:
20 vgcreate myvg /dev/sda[678]
21
22 Create logical volumes in this volume group:
23 lvcreate -L 5G -n lvm1 myvg
24 lvcreate -L 2G -n lvm2 myvg
25
26 Use these logical volumes just as disk partitions:
27
28 mke2fs -j -L fs_on_lvm /dev/myvg/lvm1
29 mount /dev/myg/lvm1 /mnt/fs_on_lvm
30
31 The file system is too small? Just extend its size by 1G, without
32 unmouning:
33
34 lvresize -L +1G /dev/myvg/lvm1
35
36 The volume groups is getting full, no space to add LVMs? Add other
37 partitions. If you like, even from a 2nd drive:
38
39 pvcreate /dev/sdb5
40 vgextend myvg /dev/sdb5
41
42 So, it's of course more complicated than just firing up cfdisk, create
43 partitions and file systems on them, but you have much more flexibility.
44 Once you have LVM, you do not have to care what the actual device names of
45 your drives are. If sda becomes sdb and vice versa, no problem, and
46 nothing to worry about. LVM does not use the device name, it scans each
47 partition and uses the LVM UUIDs on them to identify what is what.
48
49 Wonko