From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/hosts include file?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 00:28:10
1 On 12/03/2013 00:45, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 >> NAT is the context of an IPv6 discussion is *very* relevant, it's
3 >> > one of the points you have to raise to illustrate what bits inside
4 >> > people's heads needs to be identified and changed.
5 >> >
6 >> > Until you change the content of people's heads, IPv6 is just not
7 >> > going to happen.
8 > I disagree with you there. IPV6 adoption will be driven by shortage
9 > of addresses, which people can understand. It will not be accomplished
10 > by sermons about the evils of NAT whilst people's eyes glaze over.
11 > "A preachment, dear friends, you are about to receive, is on John
12 > Barleycorn, Nicotine, and the Temptations of NAT".
13 >
14 > And if it comes down to it, I'd much rather have IPV6 with IPV6 NAT
15 > being available, rather than no IPV6.
16
17 Hmmm, I'm still not convinced.
18
19 NAT (plus a whole boat load of other crap we've accumulated over the
20 years, NAT merely being the well-known poster-boy) is so ingrained in
21 people's heads it is now one of those things that we have to deal with.
22 Ignoring it (and the other crap too) is not going to change that it
23 really is up at the top of people's thought process.
24
25 When I say "people" I of course mean "people I interact with". I don't
26 claim to speak for all persons who deal with the internet somehow.
27
28 Yes, we should and must pound away that IPv4 is a limited resource and
29 it's close to being used up. But we still have to deal with the other
30 objections that rightly or wrongly get dumped on the table too.
31
32 Why do I think we must deal with these other issues rather than
33 concentrate on the major one? Because the other guy won't let it go and
34 won't really engage a discussion about IPv6 for real as he's sitting
35 with all these other objections uppermost in his mind. Chief amongst
36 them is the knowledge that he will have to redesign his entire network
37 from scratch (we all know that IPv6 is not a drop-in replacement for
38 IPv4) and the fear that somehow he has to keep business going and the
39 lights on while doing it. That scares people. Well, that's my experience
40 anyway.
41
42 Some days it feels like getting Kuthrapauli to talk to women. We know
43 all he needs to do is talk to them. He can't get past the thought that
44 he has to find a glass of wine first...
49 Alan McKinnon
50 Systems Engineer^W Technician
51 Infrastructure Services
52 Internet Solutions