From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Terminals not closing after exit anymore
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 23:24:44
1 On 30/11/2013 00:55, Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 29 Nov 2013 21:34:04 Dale wrote:
3 >> Chris Stankevitz wrote:
4 >>> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> I'm reading all these messages about Nvidia driver versions causing
6 >>>> problems and I'm wondering if for my next box I should just stick with
7 >>>> radeon, which has not really given me any trouble for as long as I can
8 >>>> remember.
9 >>>
10 >>> Mick,
11 >>>
12 >>> I've been running nvidia-drivers on my Gentoo laptop for three years
13 >>> and have two major problems:
14 >>>
15 >>> 1. Any particular nvidia driver version is only compatible with only
16 >>> certain kernel versions. This condition is due to the way the NVIDIA
17 >>> driver works. Gentoo portage was just not designed to handle such a
18 >>> rule "package x requires kernel y" so it is left to us users to deal
19 >>> with via masks. For some reason (?) I only had to deal with this rule
20 >>> during the period ~July 2013 - October 2013.
21 >>>
22 >>> 2. The latest stable version of the nvidia drivers do not allow
23 >>> gnome-terminal windows to close. This problem too just started
24 >>> happening after years of trouble-free gnome-terminal closing.
25 >>>
26 >>> It is frustrating... but I'm stuck with NVIDIA-drivers because I use
27 >>> CUDA. If 1) this sort of thing bothers you and 2) radeon doesn't have
28 >>> similar problems, then by all means please switch to radeon and let us
29 >>> know how it goes!
30 >>>
31 >>> PS: Installing the CUDA runtime and SDK is easier on Gentoo than on
32 >>> any other linux distro.
33 >>>
34 >>> Chris
35 >>
36 >> I to have been using Nvidia video cards for years with little problem.
37 >> Lately tho, my motto has started showing. If it ain't working, switch
38 >> to something else. I like Nvidia cards but if they won't work right,
39 >> that's a problem.
40 >>
41 >> Mick, if you switch, let us know how it went. I know at one time Radeon
42 >> cards were a nightmare. That was a while back tho. No clue on current
43 >> things although I hear about less problems too.
44 >>
45 >> Dale
46 >
47 > Sorry, I seem to not have made myself clear: I always have owned ati-radeon
48 > cards, for reasons of pure coincidence I guess. I remember having some
49 > problems with the (very) early radeon driver but for the best part of 10 years
50 > now and multiple PCs I have not really had any problems. I don't play games
51 > and do not use blender or any 3D intensive software. Friends who play games
52 > swear by NVidia and won't use anything else.
53 >
54 > I am about to build a new rig and have been flirting with the idea of going
55 > NVidia this time. I'm not sure CUDA will make a noticeable difference (will
56 > it? on a quad core CPU?) so if I go for NVidia it will be because it is a new
57 > thing for me to try. However, with all these reports of problems here and in
58 > other forums I am having second thoughts ...
62 CUDA isn't a magic drop-in replacement for a CPU with added go-fast stripes.
63
64 Code is written to use CUDA. if not, it can't use it.
65
66 Your question should be "Do you intend to use software that is written
67 for and will benefit from CUDA"?
70 Alan McKinnon
71 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com