From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good command for wiping a hard drive?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:25:02
1 Forgot to credit my source:
2 http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&postid=1848770
3
4 That post also mentions a Helix livecd that comes with the dlcfdd program I
5 mentioned.
6
7 On 9/30/05, Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >
9 > Deleting and recreating new, different partitions isn't enough, as the raw
10 > data is still there. I would use /dev/urandom combined /bin/dd. Never done
11 > this before, but *should* work. Boot from the gentoo livecd (or some other
12 > livecd that provides a full working linux environment), type dd
13 > if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda conv=notrunc . Run that about 10 times (you do
14 > want it securely erased right?) or however many times you feel is necessary.
15 > Use dlcfdd instead of dd if you can, as with an extra CLI option
16 > (sizeprobe=of) you can get a progress bar.
17 >