From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Flaky IDE
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:04:55
1 On 9/18/05, Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > get a new cable?
5 > is everything cool enough?
8 Yes to both
9
10 why do you think, it is the controller?
13 No reason really its just a guess. Plus the hard drives are brand new.
14
15 and last point: if the controller is not explicitly marked as hot-swapable,
16 > and the board able to do hotswap too, you have to proper shutdown to
17 > change
18 > hardware.
19 > Since I suspect, that it is a PCI controller, and PCI is not
20 > hotplug/hotswapable, the answer should be no.
21 >
22 > I'm not really looking to change hardware just simply re-initialize that
23 specific PCI card so I don't have to reboot to do it. There ought to be a
24 software command to do this, but perhaps no.
25
26 -Mike
30 Michael E. Crute
31 Software Developer
32 SoftGroup Development Corporation
33
34 Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
35 "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"