From: YUE Daian <sheepduke@×××××.com>
To: Ralph Seichter <abbot@×××××××××××.net>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ntp-client slows down the boot process
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2019 15:32:49
1 On 2019-07-26 17:15, Ralph Seichter <abbot@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > * YUE Daian:
3 >
4 >> I added [ntp-client] to the default boot level (OpenRC), however it
5 >> seriously slows down the boot process (around 10 seconds or so).
6 >
7 > Launching 'clamd' can hold up a reboot for a minute or longer, so ten
8 > seconds do not seem that bad to me.
9 >
10 >> Is there any way to make it faster?
11 >
12 > Personally, I gladly wait for a couple of seconds and know that the
13 > clock is correct, but if it bothers you too much, you can try setting
14 > rc_parallel="YES" in /etc/rc.conf .
15 >
16 > -Ralph
17
18 I switched to a faster NTP server. It still takes some seconds but
19 better than before.
20
21 Maybe you are right. Having correct system time is more important than
22 several seconds...
23
24 By the way does "rc_parallel" really makes a difference?
25 I tried it once before but did not really see much difference.
26
27 Thanks!