From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Crash dumps
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 18:10:16
1 With some recent software updates (well, a month's worth...didn't
2 realize I wasn't syncing on my laptop), X now frequently dies on me.
3
4 As it happens, I've already rebuilt all the software on the system...I
5 do an emerge -e @world every time there's a gcc update. To my knowledge,
6 there's no old cruft, no old binaries, nothing for depclean to remove or
7 revdep-rebuild to fix, etc. etc.
8
9 The next step is to actually inspect the crashes and see what's
10 happening...but for this to be even remotely convenient, I'd like my
11 system to start accumulating crash dumps for my inspection. Fortunately,
12 I have -ggdb in CFLAGS for just such occasions, so I'm not wanting for
13 symbols...
14
15 Trouble is...I don't remember how to do this. How do I enable crash
16 dumps, and how do I control where the dump files are dropped?