From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /dev/rtc => rtc0
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 22:56:47
1 On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >> I know nothing of this part of the Linux boot process. If it's
5 >> *fairly* simple can someone point me at the right stuff to understand
6 >> how Gentoo creates a link from /dev/rtc to rtc0? When in the boot
7 >> process does this link become valid?
8 >>
9 >> Is it something that's held in a file and recreated from that file
10 >> on each boot? Is it created automagically by Gentoo Angels that look
11 >> after my well being but seldom reveal themselves? Is it created by the
12 >> kernel itself when something is specifically configured to do so?
13 >> Something else?
14 >>
15 >> Thanks,
16 >> Mark
17 >>
18 >> lightning src # uname -a
19 >> Linux lightning 2.6.27-gentoo-r8 #6 Fri Jan 30 18:55:56 PST 2009
20 >> x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
21 >> lightning src # ls -al /dev/rtc*
22 >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 2009-01-30 10:58 /dev/rtc -> rtc0
23 >> crw-r--r-- 1 root root 254, 0 2009-01-30 10:58 /dev/rtc0
24 >> lightning src #
29 > From my understanding udev creates all the "stuff" in /dev. You can
30 > change the rules that it uses to make them tho. I think there is
31 > documentation on gentoo.org to help with that. So far, mine has worked
32 > well enough. Lucky I guess.
33 >
34 > That help?
35 >
36 > Dale
37
38 Hi Dale,
39 While poking around in a bunch of different kernel config files -
40 some gentoo-sources - some not - I found there is an option in
41
42 Device Drivers -> RTC
43
44 that ONLY shows up when you tell the kernel to build the support in.
45 (I.e. - not off or modular) The option says
46
47 <*> Set system time from RTC on startup or resume
48 (rtc0) RTC used to set the system time
49
50 So, it appears it's a kernel oriented thing which allows it to get set
51 very early in the boot process. My problem on a kernel I built
52 yesterday was "File has a date in the future" sort of messages. I had
53 this set as modular so it couldn't load that early. The other problem
54 was that since it was a module and apparently I didn't load that
55 module the command hwclock -r failed.
56
57 I've reconfigured the kernel and will build it and test after I get
58 finished with an emerge -e world later today.
59
60 Thanks for the response. Hope this info helps someone else in the
61 future. (and me after the reboot!) ;-)
62
63 Cheers,
64 Mark