From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is rc.conf no longer used by Gentoo (baselayout-1.12.13)?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:09:33
1 On Monday 14 December 2009 12:22:42 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:18:56 +0000, Mick wrote:
3 > > > The DE/WM to use is specified by whatever display manager you use.
4 > > > Setting it in a global configuration file is pointless on a multi-user
5 > > > system.
6 > >
7 > > So, where would you specify which DE/WM session the xdm Display
8 > > Manager will load up for a specific user in a Gentoo set up?
9 > > (assuming that there is such a thing as a Gentoo default way of doing
10 > > this).
11 >
12 > I used xdm once, that was more than enough. gdm and kdm both have options
13 > to do this, as did the one whose name I cannot remember that I tried
14 > once. Alternatively, you can use the XSESSION environment variable or use
15 > the standard .xinitrc/.xsession way of doing things. I'd either do that
16 > latter or use a more flexible display manager, I find xdm horrible.
17
18 You're right, although xdm can be beautified if you have the time or
19 inclination to look into /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources.
20
21 When I am looking for my XSESSION I get nothing:
22
23 $ echo $SESSION
26 How do I set this up, other than Mike's suggestion of '/etc/env.d/90xsession'?
27 --
28 Regards,
29 Mick