From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Ethics of vmware use
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 17:12:58
1 I like to be one of the good guys. I'm not always sure what that means
2 in particular cases, so I'm going to ask what I should do here. Opinions
3 welcome. Flames somewhat less so.
4
5 I got a 30-day trial license for vmware, thinking to replace my aging
6 Win4Lin. It seems to work (thanks to folks on this list). But I notice
7 that now that I've created my VMs, I may not need workstation any
8 more. I could do very well with the player, which is free.
9
10 I'm using VMware to virtualize my old Win98 that used to run on
11 a predecessor of the current host. On this, I run Quicken and I may
12 decide to run some games as well.
13
14 I'd just go ahead and buy Workstation except for the ~$200.-- price tag.
15 But somehow it seems more like a $50.00 item for what I'm doing
16 with it. I just feel a bit cheap using and ditching a trial version, since
17 I'm definitely getting a benefit from it I could not have gotten otherwise
18 (unless I could prevail on someone else to build the VM for me).
19
20 On that point, what are the ethics of building VMs for others?
21 What does VMware say about this?
24 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD