From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: External hard drive and idle activity
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2020 18:48:12
1 Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2020-01-01 18:09, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> As some may recall, I have a 8TB external SATA hard drive that I do
5 >> back ups on. Usually, I back up once a day, more often if
6 >> needed. Usually I turn the power on, mount it, do the back ups,
7 >> unmount and turn the power back off. Usually it is powered up for 5
8 >> minutes or so. When I unmount it tho, I sometimes notice it is still
9 >> doing something. I can feel the mechanism for the heads moving. It has
10 >> a slight vibration to it. Questions are, what is it doing and should
11 >> I let it finish before powering it off? I'd assume that once it in
12 >> unmounted, the copy process is done so the files are safe. I guess it
13 >> is doing some sort of internal checks or something but I'm not sure.
14 > I have observed the same thing. But in my case, I also disconnect the
15 > _cable_ from the computer to the enclosure when I am done ... and still
16 > the drive activity goes on. From that I conclude that it is the drive
17 > circuitry itself doing some kind of internal housekeeping, and there is
18 > no point in worrying about it because one would wait forever for it to
19 > end.
23 That's one thing that makes it unnervey.  I'll put my hand around to the
24 back and feel those little bumps.  I wait until I think it is done but
25 just as I'm about to power it off, it bumps again.  It's so
26 unpredictable, I never know if it is done doing its thing or not.  Just
27 like now, it's unmounted, did that during last reply, it hasn't did the
28 bump thingy while reading your reply or me typing mine in so far.  Now
29 as soon as I reach around to turn it off, it'll likely do the bump thing
30 again.  lol
31
32 One thing is for sure tho, if you unplug the cable, whatever it is
33 doing, it's internal.  Sort of hard for the puter to be doing something
34 when it isn't connected.  That narrows the options down a lot.  That's a
35 good piece of info there.
36
37 Thanks.
38