From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 19:09:06
1 On Friday 22 July 2011 19:13:35 Grant wrote:
2
3 > Wouldn't a sufficiently large swap (100GB for example) completely prevent
4 > out of memory conditions and the oom-killer?
5
6 Of course, on any system with more than a few dozen MB of RAM, but I can't
7 imagine any combination of running programs whose size could add up to even
8 a tenth of that, with or without library sharing (somebody will be along
9 with an example in a moment). For instance I'm running four instances of
10 BOINC projects here, one on each core, with oodles of space to spare and no
11 swapping. Mind you, I do have 16GB RAM :-)
12
13 Having said that I ought to go and shrink my swap partitions, but my disks
14 are only half-allocated already, so I don't see the point.
17 Rgds
18 Peter Linux Counter number 5290