From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 20:28:54
1 Am Freitag, 24. Juni 2011, 15:00:32 schrieb Dale:
2 > Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
3 > > Am Freitag, 24. Juni 2011, 08:04:43 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
4 > >> On 06/24/2011 01:16 AM, Dale wrote:
5 > >>> If it works with fortran turned on, I'd leave it alone. With
6 > >>> hindsight,
7 > >>> I should have left well enough alone anyway. It wasn't hurting a
8 > >>> thing.
9 > >>> Watch the elog messages. It will tell you at some point to either
10 > >>> enable fortran or emerge some other package that I forget the name
11 > >>> of. That one package pulled several dependencies on my rig. YMMV.
12 > >>
13 > >> Well, as I said in another post, I do have -fortan in my make.conf and
14 > >> there are no problems. I do not have programs installed that need a
15 > >> fortran compiler. And I do not have kde-meta installed; that's a
16 > >> waste
17 > >> of resources. I only install what I actually need.
18 > >
19 > > You have no programs, that *need* fortran, but it could well be, that
20 > > you have programs installed, that perform better when compiled with a
21 > > fortran compiler. I think of sci-libs/fftw here as an example. It's
22 > > used by programs like blender, imagemagick and maybe some others. The
23 > > developers of said library use fortran, because they benchmarked it. If
24 > > you disable fortran, you use the slower C fallback solution. If you
25 > > disable fftw in those packages, you get a slower implementation too
26 > > afaik.
27 > > After all, gentoo is a source based distribution. We all already have a
28 > > couple of languages installed. There's a C compiler a standard user
29 > > will never use. There's a C++ compiler only used by programmers. We all
30 > > have them, only to compile programs, that need them.
31 > > Why not enable fortran, even if it's only optional, to get the best of
32 > > the available implementations? In the end it's only one programming
33 > > language more installed on your system.
34 > >
35 > > Regards,
36 > > Michael
37 >
38 > I just wonder if that is why Cantor was set up to use fortran by
39 > default. Not because it is smaller, requires a few less package but
40 > that it is what it is designed to run off of. It may well work with
41 > something else but not as fast, not as good or something else we don't
42 > know about.
43
44 cantor uses R as default backend. R uses fortran. And yes, that's because of
45 its speed, when it comes to mathematics and numerics.
46
47 > Just makes me think again on this one.
48 >
49 > Dale
50 >
52