From: Ralph Seichter <gentoo-user@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Marvell Yukon 88E8001 not working, already tried "modprobe sk98lin" et al
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:16:12
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > IIRC, eth0 on the live CD can be a IEEE1394 ethernet bridge, if you
4 > have a firewire port in the PC. The UNSPEC and 'weird' hardware
5 > address are indicative of this.
6
7 Good timing of yours, I just wanted to boast a bit about getting to the
8 bottom of the problem myself (after I leaving the machine alone for two
9 hours to get a fresh mental start on things). ;-)
10
11 It seems that booting from the "Minimal" CD indeed maps two FireWire
12 devices first. The mainboard's IEEE 1394 becomes attached to eth0, and
13 eth1 is the FireWire port of a SB Audigy card. The network controller is
14 available as eth2 after loading the modules, which I didn't expect. %-P
15
16 I have since installed Gentoo 2006.0, compiled my own kernel and ten
17 minutes ago the machine properly booted for the first time with the
18 Yukon controller as eth0. Hooray! I've started "emerge --update --deep
19 world", and when it is finished, I'll try to figure out exactly which
20 modules can be used to access the network controller (sk98lin, skge or
21 sky2).
24 Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Sincerely
25 Dipl. Inform. Ralph Seichter
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list