From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ncurses: reductio ad absurdum
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 17:41:39
1 On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > I disagree completely. A little time spent on git is time wasted. Only
4 > a lot of time spent on git is useful.
5
6 I disagree with this.
7
8 > git is to VCSs as assembler is to programming languages. To use either
9 > effectively, you've got to have a complete grasp of the internal logic of
10 > git/the processor.
11
12 I agree with this.
13
14 > the collected man pages of git (collected into an info file)
15 > weigh in at 1.9 Mb.
16
17 And if you read them all 12 times it probably wouldn't help you out
18 with using git one bit. I haven't read most of it, and I'd say that I
19 grok it.
20
21 You really need to take time to understand how git works, and that
22 doesn't actually take that much time.
23
24 The man pages are mainly used to figure out what Linus named the
25 command line option you're looking for when he was drunk and creating
26 a new subcommand. Git has a beautiful design and a horrible
27 interface. If you understand the design you'll know that there must
28 be a way to do something, but you'll spend 15min figuring out which
29 command line utility does it best.
32 Rich