From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] screen just saved my day!
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 13:15:20
1 On Thursday 07 April 2011 18:39:12 Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 12:31, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Thursday 07 April 2011 05:44:17 Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > > > Someone really should mention 'screen' in the handbook; that
5 > > > venerable
6 > > > tool just saved my day :)
7 > > >
8 > > > I was in the midst of 'emerge --update --newuse world' over SSH when
9 > > > my office had a 'temporary power failure'. Luckily, I had started a
10 > > > 'screen' session. When the power is restored 5 minutes later, I just
11 > > > re-attach the screen session, and all's well :)
12 > > >
13 > > > Rgds,
14 > >
15 > > Have a look here, under Section 3 - Leaving your Terminal:
16 > >
17 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-tipsntricks.xml
18 > > --
19 > > Regards,
20 > > Mick
21 >
22 > Gosh, now I feel stupid and illiterate ;_;
23
24 Don't worry about that :)
25 I actually think that it's not that easy to find if a "new" Gentoo user can't
26 see it straight away...
27
28 Just out of curiousity, where did you look? Maybe a link from where you looked
29 to that page might be of use to make the documentation better?
30
31 Also, the problem with most documented features is, if someone isn't aware of
32 a certain feature, that person might not even look for it and will continue
33 doing things in a sub-optimal method.
36 Joost