From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Blocking login attempts to sshd and vsftpd
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 00:01:33
1 Richard Marza writes:
2
3 > I recently check my log files and discovered that there was a
4 > dictionary attack attempt on my daemons. sshd and vsftpd were the
5 > primary targets. Is there a script or tool to block the offending IP
6 > addresses using iptables. Something that checks to see if a minimum of
7 > attempts has occured and blocks them indefinitely based on that?
8
9 I am using net-analyzer/fail2ban for this. There is also app-
10 admin/denyhosts, which gets a list of offending IPs from a server. But it
11 may only be for SSH.
12
13 Wonko