From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pop up windows with text message
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 09:23:36
1 On 09/07/2013 18:54, Joseph wrote:
2 > How to design a sticky note pop-up when file is present?
3 >
4 > I would like to check if file is present via and open a terminal window
5 > with a simple message.
6 > I think a simple bash script and a cron job would do the trick or is
7 > there a better solution?
8 >
9 > I've tried cron + bash script
10 >
11 > cron:
12 > 32 10 * * * sh /home/joseph/xp_share/wall.sh
13 >
14 > wall.sh
15 > terminal
16 > wall file ready
17 >
18 > When I open terminal and type: "terminal" new windows pops up
19 > But if close all the terminals and run wall.sh script the terminal will
20 > not open.
21 > I get an error message: (terminal:24945): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open
22 > display:
26 You want inotify for this.
27
28 You are polling something to discover if it's there, what yu really want
29 to do is let the kernel notify you when the event you are interested in
30 occurs.
31
32 There are many tools out there that interface with the kernel's inotify
33 system.
37 Alan McKinnon
38 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com