From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] adding user and limiting program availability
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 23:32:31
1 Joseph wrote:
2 > How to add user and limit program availability (even from the command
3 > line)?
4 >
5 > I would like my daughter to learn latex but if I give her access to my
6 > PC she will be using OpenOffice. Basically I only want here to use
7 > programs that I select/approve.
8
9 Don't. Your daughter must be free to use whatever software she likes. If
10 you want her to use latex (and I'm a big fan of latex, I fully
11 understand your concern), show her the great advantages of it. Show her
12 how easy is formatting and other things and how clumsy it is on OO.org.
13 She must see both, and come to the conclusion latex is just better.
14 If she doesn't understand it soon (how old is she?), she will understand
15 it later.
16
17 OTOH having basic skills in using a word processor is always useful,
18 today, no matter how bad WYSIWYG word processors can be.
19
20 If you constrain her, she will just (1)hate you and (2)hate latex. No win.
21
22 m.
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list