From: james <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: upgrading question
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:07:57
1 James Ausmus <james.ausmus <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 Ordinarily, I'd just remove the blocking packages and away I'd go
5 with the 'emerge -uDNv world' command.
6
7 emerge -uDNvp world:
8 blocks B ] media-video/nvidia-kernel (is blocking
9 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.8774)
10 [blocks B ] media-video/nvidia-glx (is blocking
11 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-1.0.8774)
12 <snip>
13 Can I just remove the blocking packages and 'emerge -uDNv world' ???
14
15 > Yep - it's pretty harmless - the proprietary nVidia driver packages
16 > have been combined into a single ebuild to make things easier.
17 > If you want to be *really* safe, go to a virtual console
18 > (CTRL+ALT+F[1-6]), login, stop X (/etc/init.d/xdm stop), unload the
19 > nvidia module (rmmod nvidia), do the package swap (emerge -aC
20 > nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx && emerge -a nvidia-drivers), then restart X
21 > (/etc/init.d/xdm start). Then once X is back up, and everything
22 > running correctly, do your -uDNv world upgrade.
26 OK it's underway.... the system is headless right now (in the
27 server room) so I just opted for a straight upgrade of all....
28
29 thanks,
30
31 James