From: "Michael P. Soulier" <msoulier@×××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] glibc update
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 11:24:12
1 Hello,
2
3 Looking at what I'm about to pick up via emerge, I notice this
4
5 [ebuild U ] sys-libs/glibc-2.8_p20080602-r1 [2.6.1]
6
7 This immediately sets off alarm bells for me, since glibc is the basis of the
8 whole system. If I pick this up do I have to rebuild everything?
9
10 I've also frozen my kernel at 2.6.25 for now due to the nvidia-drivers
11 package. I have to use an older one for 3D accel and it doesn't work with the
12 newer kernels according to a bug report I saw. At some point I'm assuming that
13 a new glibc will require a new kernel too, if the interface changes, so
14 presumably I'll have to update eventually.
15
16 I could just use the nv driver since the 3D accel is not a must-have, or pick
17 up a new video card. Currently VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia" in my make.conf just
18 automatically pulls in nvidia-drivers though, which is broken for me.
19
20 But I digress. Upgrade glibc, rebuild everything? I suppose revdep-rebuild
21 will figure that out anyway...
22
23 Mike
24 --
25 Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@×××××××××××××.ca>
26 "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a
27 touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
28 --Albert Einstein