From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SOLVED (hopefully) New install - Wayland and graphical login
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 20:24:39
1 On 21/06/2021 16:17, Michael wrote:
2 > Have you tried using a Display Manager? Some of my systems won't work with
3 > Wayland, but I haven't spent time to find out why all I get with them is a
4 > black screen.
5
6 I've had that on a couple of occasions, now, and I just thought I'd post
7 this in case anybody else hits it and wants to find the solution.
8
9 The first half of the fix is to ssh into the machine from somewhere else
10 (or if you're lucky and <ctrl>-<alt>-Fn is working, switch to a
11 different tty) and kill kwin or whatever. Basically kill whatever it
12 takes to get back to a tty. (This assumes you're not running a
13 greeter/graphical login.)
14
15 Then you should see a bunch of error messages etc. I'm not aware of any
16 way to get them logged, which would make life easier.
17
18 And they should tell you what's wrong, like in my case two different
19 problems on two different occasions - once I was missing the compositor,
20 once my video drivers weren't loaded.
21
22 Cheers,
23 Wol