From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Passing env variable to ssh?
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 22:54:46
1 On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Hans-Werner Hilse wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:14:33 +0000 (WET)
6 > Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt> wrote:
7 >
8 >> I want something like this:
9 >> myvar="whatever" ssh myuser@×××××××××.org ./bin/mycommand $myvar
10 >> [...]
11 >> This does not work, because remotebox doesn't know about $myvar. Of
12 >> course, if I could pass a variable to remotebox, the line might be just
13 >> command="~/bin/mycommand" <public-key>
14 >> and the ssh command would be
15 >> myvar="whatever" ssh myuser@×××××××××.org ./bin/mycommand
16 >> (the program itself would use the value of $myvar)
17 >
18 > Hm, I think you're making it unnecessary complex. What's wrong with
19 > just piping it on stdin? I.e.:
20 Indeed. The problem was me not understanding the relation of stdin with
21 ssh when in non interactive mode...
22 >
23 > local$ echo "whatever" | ssh user@remote ./bin/mycommand
24 > and in ./bin/mycommand:
25 > ---
26 > #!/bin/sh
27 > read myvar
28 > # do whatever
29 > ---
30 I tested and it works great. It seems I have a lot to learn although I
31 use ssh daily with no problems. <SIGH>
32 >
33 > Or do you in fact use a pseudo tty on remote side for interactive mode
34 > (which would make this a little more difficult)?
35 >
36 > If you want to keep your way of doing it, I just have a few hints, but
37 > didn't test anything, just looked them up out of curiosity:
38 > - read "man sshd_config", item AcceptEnv, PermitUserEnvironment
39 I knew about PermitUserEnvironment and SendEnv, but somehow I missed
40 AcceptEnv... Anyway, AcceptEnv seems to be global, wich is not what I
41 want.
42 > - read "man sshd", section LOGIN PROCESS
43 You lost me here! I can't see relevancy---PermitUserEnvironment allows
44 to use variables but not to set them from local. Anyway, stdin is the
45 answer.
46
47 Thank you.
48 >