From: "Александър Л. Димитров" <aleks_d@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X.Org 1.4 with Nvidia?
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:19:07
1 On 11:36 Tue 02 Oct, Alexander Skwar wrote
2 > Hello.
3 >
4 > When X.Org 1.4 first hit the portage tree, I masked it, as I had quite
5 > some problems getting it to work work with my Nvidia graphics "card".
6 > I decided to stay with 1.3.0.0 for the time being.
7
8 Yeah, that was due to an ABI change in the new X.org version. The binary NVidia
9 drivers had to be recompiled - by NVidia, unfortunately.
10
11 > Now x11-base/xorg-server-1.4-r2 is in the tree. And also a new version
12 > of nvidia-drivers (nvidia-drivers-100.14.19).
13
14 The new X.org server versions still block old releases of the NVidia drivers for
15 the same reason, however, as NVidia have updated their drivers to match the new
16 X.org ABI, it _should_ be safe to upgrade now (but keep in mind that you have to
17 upgrade both packages).
18
19 My Laptop's doing fine with the new X.org version and NVidia drivers. Afaik, the
20 only problem was the ABI - but there are some guys at nvnews that seem to not be
21 content with the new driver version. Most of them seem to use graphical effects
22 though.
23
24 As every single one of NVidia's releases, this one seems to have its own
25 problems... but for me it's very sable.
26
27 Aleks