From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tuning desktop appearance for legibility
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2020 19:19:20
1 On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 1:45 PM Caveman Al Toraboran <
2 toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
5 >
6 > On Thursday, September 3, 2020 6:50 PM, John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
7 > wrote:
11 > > Hi, Everyone,
15 > hello big dawg!
19 > quick point: imo the problem of gray texts on
20 >
21 > white backgrounds, or scrollbars or whatever, that
22 >
23 > you have, is not related to aging. imo it's
24 >
25 > rather related to stupid web developers. not even
26 >
27 > a mutant with infrared vision can use these
28 >
29 > websites.
35 > > 1) How do you cope with this problem?
39 > i cope by these:
43 > - use pixel-based fonts for everything as much
44 >
45 > as possible, specially for key apps like:
46 >
47 > terminal, window manager and browser.
51 > they become so much readable. i use
52 >
53 > "terminus-font" (and previously used "dina")
54 >
55 > in my urxvt as well as my other apps as much
56 >
57 > as i can.
61 > i notice one of the major problems with
62 >
63 > fonts is actually not our eyes, but in many
64 >
65 > cases how fancy fonts blur. i was
66 >
67 > personally amazed by how i could use much
68 >
69 > smaller fonts, while maintaining
70 >
71 > readability, by simply switching to
72 >
73 > pixel-based fonts, such as terminus.
76 I think I’m ok on fonts with my very hi-res monitor plus noto sans mono
77 font and white-on-black text wherever possible. Discovered that during my
78 “tuning” efforts and like the look. Used to use terminus but prefer my
79 current recipe. Admittedly the clarity is probably only infinitesimally
80 different from terminus.
86 > - for my browser, i use custom user css for
87 >
88 > different modes. i also configured
89 >
90 > shortcuts for my browser, so that i change
91 >
92 > these user css files based on which ones
93 >
94 > work best with the site. generally, i have
95 >
96 > "night.css" and "wiki.css" that i change by
97 >
98 > keyboard shortcuts. the "night.css" is very
99 >
100 > generic and changes background/foreground
101 >
102 > texts for pretty much 90% of sites properly.
105 Could you elaborate on this? Don’t know css, but could pick it up. I’m
106 assuming that web pages already contain css code to direct their
107 appearance. So you apparently have some alternate appearance you prefer,
108 with your own alternate coding, and you somehow tell the browser to use
109 yours instead. Am I anywhere close to getting the broad outlines of the
110 process correct? If so, how does this intercept and substitute process
111 work? (I see you provide a link below, but it doesn’t work here...)
117 > this way, i am no longer bound by bad colors
118 >
119 > chosen by web designers.
123 > - i use i3 as window manager, with lots of
124 >
125 > shortcuts. i also use qutebrowser (a
126 >
127 > browser with good vim shortcuts).
131 > this way, throughout the day, i rarely end
132 >
133 > up needing to use the mouse to do things. i
134 >
135 > only use the mouse for ultra quirky websites
136 >
137 > with fancy javascript links that are not
138 >
139 > clickable by qutebrowser's shortcuts.
142 I cut my teeth on vi on 4.2 bsd on a vax. That actually sounds appealing.
146 > so thanks to using keyboard shortcuts, a
147 >
148 > website can have thin gray scrollbar on a
149 >
150 > gray background and i don't care. because i
151 >
152 > scroll by shortcuts, not by bars. in fact,
153 >
154 > my qutebrowser's interface has scrollbars
155 >
156 > disabled altogether to use pixels, which i
157 >
158 > paid dear money for, for real use.
164 > > 2) Is there an xfce theme and icon package you
165 >
166 > > recommend? Or maybe something other than xfce?
167 >
168 > > I like xfce, and have never been attracted to
169 >
170 > > integrated desktops like kde and gnome, but if
171 >
172 > > they’ve got a credible solution, I’m willing to
173 >
174 > > try.
178 > i would suggest try keyboard-based window
179 >
180 > managers. my 1st suggestion is i3. it's actually
181 >
182 > perfectly usable for all applications. it's
183 >
184 > tiling-based, but also has floating functionality,
185 >
186 > and does a fine job eliminating need of clicking
187 >
188 > around on tiny things.
192 > > 3) Are there lower level ways of tweaking my
193 >
194 > > current desktop? For example, changing colors
195 >
196 > > in the 2 examples I gave above from black on
197 >
198 > > dark gray to black on white? Could that be done
199 >
200 > > with a little judicious editing of color
201 >
202 > > settings somewhere, or adjusting colors on an
203 >
204 > > icon? I don’t know how desktop appearances are
205 >
206 > > programmed, so I don’t know where on the
207 >
208 > > spectrum of trivial->apocalyptic this lies.
212 > user style sheets. maybe have a look here
213 >
214 > (i also talked about it above):
215 >
216 > https://userstyles.org/styles/browse/css
219 Not promising. The page doesn’t load except for a rotating colorwheel in
220 the center followed by a 504 gateway timeout. Will try again later.
221
222 Thanks - lots of stuff to try.
223
224 John