From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] RAID-1 on secondary disks how?
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 19:22:01
1 Hello list,
2
3 (I've been off-line for ten days and I haven't yet caught up with the list. I
4 had to send my machine to its maker to have a cooling-system hardware fault
5 fixed.)
6
7 I've added two SSDs to my workstation, intending to create a RAID-1 array on
8 them to store backups (which may be another question when I've got the setup
9 right), but I cannot create the array to create LVM.
10
11 Each disk has an 80GiB NTFS partition in case I want to install Windows, then
12 a 500GiB ext2 partition.
13
14 When I run "mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda2 /dev/
15 sdb2", this is what I get:
16
17 # mdadm --stop /dev/md0
18 mdadm: stopped /dev/md0
19 # mdadm: /dev/sda2 appears to contain an ext2fs file system
20 size=524288000K mtime=Thu Jan 1 01:00:00 1970
21 mdadm: /dev/sdb2 appears to contain an ext2fs file system
22 size=524288000K mtime=Thu Jan 1 01:00:00 1970
23 Continue creating array? y
24 mdadm: RUN_ARRAY failed: Invalid argument
25
26 If I boot from SysRescCD I also get "device /dev/sda2 exists but is not an md
27 device." I also had to "mdadm --stop /dev/md127" since that OS calls the first
28 array that.
29
30 I've tried with a GPT disk header and with an MSDOS one, with similar results.
31 Also with /etc/init.d/mdraid not running, with it started on my command and
32 with it in the boot runlevel. Each time I changed anything I rebooted before
33 trying anything else.
34
35 I must be missing something, in spite of following the wiki instructions. Can
36 someone help an old duffer out?
39 Regards,
40 Peter.