From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: power button to shutdown for openrc?
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2019 17:18:15
1 On 2019-11-16 12:50, Mick wrote:
2
3 > > Question: when does the init program run under the name openrc-init?
4 >
5 > It is not simply a matter of different names, but of different
6 > binaries. As far as I understand it, the /sbin/init of
7 > sys-apps/sysvinit is used by openrc unless you have modified your
8 > system to use openrc-init (a different binary to /sbin/init) as
9 > explained here:
10 >
11 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC/openrc-init
12 >
13 > I may have this wrong of course, but hopefully a more learned
14 > participant will chime in soon to explain it better to us. :-)
17 Interesting - I had no idea that openrc-init existed. When I read this
18 I was tempted to switch, however:
19
20 Openrc-init does not use /etc/inittab
21
22 which means in particular that my own favorite way of shutting down
23 wouldn't work:
24
25 kb:12345:kbrequest:/sbin/shutdown -h now
26
27 Extra question to keep the thread alive for a bit: does openrc-init
28 support rebooting via Ctl-Alt-Del? Is it configurable? (It is with
29 sysvinit, in a similar way to the above kbrequest setting.)
32 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
33 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
34 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
35 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.