From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub1: Cant ? Re: keeping grub 1
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 16:55:34
1 On 2015-08-26, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Alec Ten Harmsel <alec <at> alectenharmsel.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> > So some vintage installs/upgrades got me thinking. What does Grub-2
5 >> > offer that grub-1 does not. I cannot think of anything that I need
6 >> > from Grub-2 not mbr, nor efi board booting. Not dual/multi booting
7 >> > as grub-1 excels on that, and not on drives larger than 2 T.
8 >
9 >> > So what is the (hardware scenario) where grub-2 and it's problems
10 >> > are superior to grub-1? I'm having trouble thinking of that
11 >> > situation.......?
12 >
13 >> 64-bit hardware with the no-multilib profile[1]. I have no "-bin" packages
14 >> on my system, nor do I run any pre-built 3rd party applications, so I
15 >> waste no time compiling worthless 32-bit libraries. Therefore, I need
16 >> grub 2.
17 >
18 > Ok this is interesting. Is this only an AMD64 thing?
19
20 Yep. In theory the same thing could come up with respect to 64/32 bit
21 SPARC or something, but in practice it's ARM64
22
23 > On Arm64 you'd most likely want to run 32 bit binaries.
24
25 Some people do. Some people don't
26
27 > I'm OK with this, but what is the benefit of such profile selection::
28 > curiously I have no experience with the profile selection, despite
29 > running quite a few amd64 system. What would the benefits be
30 > running this profile on older amd64 hardware ?
31
32 The main benefit of ARM64 w/o 32-bit libs is that you can't run acroread.
33
34 ;)
35
36 If only evince could "print current view", I could ditch acroread...
39 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! What I need is a
40 at MATURE RELATIONSHIP with a
41 gmail.com FLOPPY DISK ...